May 19, 2021
Today we are joining Trainees for Child Injury Prevention (T4CIP) for their Day of Action in bringing attention to high-powered magnet injuries in kids and teens. T4CIP is a group of pediatricians and medical trainees from across the country who are passionate about childhood injury prevention. High-powered magnets have caused thousands of injuries and are considered to be among the most dangerous ingestion hazards in children.
Calls to Poison Centers about High-Powered Magnets Increased by 444% after Ban Lifted
We encourage you to join this national collaboration by posting messages on social media throughout today (May 19, 2021) using #MagnetSafety and participating in a Twitter chat at 1-2 p.m. ET using the same hashtag.
Kids are notorious for exploring small objects and putting them up their nose, in their ear or swallowing them. Some ingestions like button batteries and small, b-b sized magnets are potentially life-threatening for children and adolescents. Catastrophic and fatal injuries can occur when the object becomes lodged in the esophagus, where injury can extend beyond the esophagus to the trachea or aorta.
In this episode, we are going to turn the mic on host, David Brumbaugh, MD, to look at the presentation and treatment of ingested foreign objects and the anticipatory guidance primary care providers can give to their patients and families.
What our listeners may not know about Dr. Brumbaugh is that he has a job beyond co-hosting Charting Pediatrics; he is a pediatric gastroenterologist and Chief Medical Officer at Children’s Hospital Colorado and is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Ingested Button Battery Clinical Pathway
Do you have thoughts about today's episode or suggestions for a future topic? Write to us, email@example.com