Preview Mode Links will not work in preview mode

Charting Pediatrics

Mar 17, 2020

Kids are notorious for exploring small objects and putting them up their nose, in their ear or swallowing them. Some ingestions like button batteries and small, b-b sized magnets are potentially life-threatening for children and adolescents. Catastrophic and fatal injuries can occur when the object becomes lodged in the esophagus, where injury can extend beyond the esophagus to the trachea or aorta.

In this episode, we are going to turn the mic on host, David Brumbaugh, MD, to look at the presentation and treatment of ingested foreign objects and the anticipatory guidance primary care providers can give to their patients and families.

What our listeners may not know about Dr. Brumbaugh is that he has a job beyond co-hosting Charting Pediatrics; he is a pediatric gastroenterologist and Associate Chief Medical Officer at Children’s Hospital Colorado and is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

Ingested Button Battery Clinical Pathway

Do you have thoughts about today's episode or suggestions for a future topic? Write to us,